Faith Words: What's in a name?

Here we are at the beginning of our seventh month of Faith Words.  12 verses behind us, 12 verses ahead of us.  If you've been struggling with your memory work, don't quit now.  Instead, resolve to renew your commitment to memorize God's word.  I know you can do it.  It gives me such encouragement knowing you're writing God's word on your heart.  The reward will be eternal.

I love our Bible class.  It challenges me to think and, more importantly, to adjust my life to reflect God's standard more closely.  Today was no exception.

In class, we talked about the name of God and the name of His Son. What's in a name? 

My name is Ann (gracious) Patrice (of noble descent).  On my own neither is true, but because of Jesus, both are true.  I'm covered by God's graciousness to me and as His child, I'm of noble descent.

God to Moses:  "I AM who I AM."  That encompasses so many things that it's hard even to conceive of them all.  God is - He exists, He has always existed, He will always exist.  God is - life, light, love, and on and on and on.  God is.

And the name given to Mary's little boy child?  Jesus.  Yeshua.  God's Salvation.  Jesus doesn't just give us or grant to us salvation.  No, He IS salvation.  Throughout God's holy word, the refrain repeats:  Jesus - Yeshua is God's salvation.

What does your name mean?  Does it call you to a higher standard?  In Christ, we have a new identity.  We stand before the world and claim that we are now little Messiahs - Christians.  Does the name of Jesus Christ change you?

Whose name do you wear?

Patrice

Acts 4:12 (NIV)

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Phil 4:6-7 NIV

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus
Mary Lou Vorheis said…
Ps. 19:14 ASB

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Kim OConnor said…
Galatians 5:1 NLT

So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don't get tied up again in slavery to the law.
Shannon Augesen said…
1 Corinthians 10:23-24 NIV
"Everything is permissible" - but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible" - but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 119:105 NIV

Your word is a lamp for my feet, A light for my path.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1