Faith Words: Starry, starry night

I've been blessed with the opportunity to spend a few days and nights in the mountains of Ruidoso, New Mexico. The air smells clean; the breeze feels cool. It's been so refreshing to be here.

I suppose one of my favorite times of day here is well after sundown when the stars are out and seem to burn brighter than at home. I know it's because there are fewer lights to take away from their brilliance. But it's almost like they're trying harder, maybe even showing off a little bit, knowing they're more visible in the mountain night sky.

And always, always, I'm reminded of an old hymn we used to sing in the congregation where I grew up:

The spacious firmament on high,
With all the blue ethereal sky,
And spangled heavens, a shining frame,
Their great Original proclaim.
The unwearied sun, from day to day,
Doth his Creator's power display
And publishes to every land
The work of an Almighty hand.

Soon as the evening shades prevail,
The moon takes up the wondrous tale.
And nightly to the listening earth,
Repeats the story of her birth.
While all the stars that round her burn,
And all the planets in their turn,
Confirm the tidings as they roll,
And spread the truth from pole to pole.

What though in solemn silence all
Move round the dark terrestrial ball?
What though no real voice nor sound
Amid the radiant orbs be found?
In reason's ear they all rejoice,
And utter forth a glorious voice
Forever singing as they shine,
"The hand that made us is divine."

I don't know who wrote those words but I know they echo the sentiment found in my memory verse for the 15th. All nature testifies to the existence of their Divine Creator

Looking at the glorious canopy of stars shining down on me each night, I can't help but say: "Amen!". God has assigned each star a place in the sky, each star a name, each doing what He created it to do: give us light, direction and mark the seasons of the year.

Each celestial body knows its Creator. Each praises its Creator with every particle of its being. Let's join them!

Praising God,

Patrice

Psalm 19:1 (NIV)

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of His hands.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
NIV Heb. 11:1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see.
Mary Lou Vorheis said…
Ps 16:5 NIV
Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; You made my lot secure.
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 91:4 NIV
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find
refuge; his faithfulness will be
your shield and rampart.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1