Faith Words: Why?

Friday morning, a terrible tragedy unfolded in Newtown, Connecticut.  A young man entered an elementary school and killed 6 adults and 20 children.  As I watched, my heart breaking for those children and families, I kept asking:  "Why?"

I have no answers.  Why does evil overtake a person's heart and cause him to do such a terrible act?  Was it some unknown hurt?  Was it mental illness?  I only have more questions.

One day, we may know the answers to all our questions.  But in the meantime, our own shock mirrors to some degree the horrible pain and loss of those families.  It's said that time will help the hurting heal but how long?  Another question.

When bad things happen, quick, simple answers sound disrespectful and insincere.  They often bring more hurt and pain and sometimes anger.  So I won't try to provide any answers.

All I can do is choose to respond to this tragedy in some higher way.  There are things I can do:  pray for all those involved, be more vigilant, be kinder to everyone I come across, love more deeply those God has placed in my life - both family and friends.  There's too much pain and sadness in our world.  I can try to do my part not to inflict more by my own thoughtlessness and insensitivity.  I can try to do good and be salt and light in a dark world.  And maybe, just maybe, my actions will bring glory to God and help someone find his way to the Father.

In this Christmas season, take time to remember these families and the families of countless others who have suffered tragedy and loss this past year.  Thank God for your own blessings.  Hold your family and friends closer and try never to miss an opportunity to show them - and tell them - you love them.  And thank God for His wonderful Gift of Love that gives hope and life to those who believe.

Humbly seeking God,

Patrice

John 3:16 (NIV)

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Col 3:23 NIV

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
Carol Rea said…
2 Thess. 3:3 NIV

But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1