Faith Words: Taking Out the Trash

This week, we had the pleasure of keeping our grandson while his mom was out of town and his dad was working. Have you ever noticed how a four-year-old knows how to get right to the heart of the matter?

It has become our habit to pile up our trash sacks on the back porch till one of us has the time to take it out to the dumpster.  Grant noticed the trash sacks sitting there and asked his grandpa why he hadn't taken out the trash. Grandpa answered that he'd take it out later.  Grant wasn't satisfied with that answered and told his grandpa that it was time to take out the trash now.

So, Grandpa took out the trash.  The back porch looked so much nicer and was ready to use for the things the porch was intended for.  But be warned:  we have to stay on top of it or it just piles up again.

When's the last time you took out the trash?  If we let it pile up, it sits there as a reminder of work we need to do but put off till a more convenient time.  We keep telling ourselves that we'll clean that up later, when we have more time to deal with it.  Either that or we get used to seeing it and kind of overlook it, don't we?  Even worse, it starts to smell and the unpleasant odor fills the air.  Maybe our trash sack gets torn open and something gets into it and spreads the trash everywhere for everyone to see.  Any way you look at it, let on its own, that trash isn't going to take itself out.

What trash am I letting pile up?  Old hurts, bitterness, anger, resentment?  Does it have a lingering smell that makes my life unpleasant?  Have I let it get out of the sack and land on others?  The time to take out the trash is now.

In our lives though, just taking out the trash isn't enough.  We need to replace the trash with precious things - godly things.  If we don't, the next pile of trash might be our undoing. Jesus himself told us this in Matthew 12:43-45:

     "When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to the house I left.'  When it arrives, it finds the house unoccupied, swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there.  And the final condition of that person is worse than the first."

Knowing this, what am I going to do with my trash and then what am I going to enjoy in its place?  I think a nice potted plant of kindness and compassionate might be just the thing.

I think it's my turn to take out the trash.

Patrice

Ephesians 4:31-32 (NIV)

Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.




Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 63:7-8 NIV

Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
Kim OConnor said…
Psalm 141:3 NIV

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 19:14 NIV

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Tajuana said…
Tajuana Speir

Matthew 11:28 NIV

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
Cherie said…
Psalms 62:7-8 NIV

"My salvation and my honor depend on God;
He is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your hearts to Him,
for God is our refuge.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1