Faith Words: Following my Shepherd

I've recently had to choose which course of action to take in an important decision.  It has not been easy.  At first glance, both choices before me are good.  So, I had to dig a little deeper to see the differences and be better informed to make the choice that will work best for me.

How do I know when I've made the right decision?  That's difficult to say.  As I said, both choices have a good side. And once the decision is made, there's no going back.  Do I trust my instincts?  What if I've made the wrong choice? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to look at a situation through decision-making glasses?  Kind of like the Ben Franklin glasses in National Treasure.  Then, as I looked, I'd see the answer right there before me.  I wouldn't have to guess.  I'd know.

I don't know how you make your tough decisions.  It's a very personal thing, isn't it?  I look at the information provided by one side of the question.  I know there's another side, so I look at it, too.  I try to analyze it myself.  I talk to John.  I talk to family and friends to glean from their experiences.  I talk to God and ask Him to help me see beyond the surface and find the right solution.  Eventually, I have to make a decision and live with it.  But I keep praying I've heard God's voice and seen the situation clearly and made the correct choice.

In the case of my recent decision, I have been blessed to feel a sense of peace and confidence in my choice that I don't always have.  I'm glad because as I said, this decision is a big one.  There is still a lot of uncertainty about how the whole thing will unfold but knowing I've started off in step with God on this journey, I can live with not knowing every detail and still be assured of a good outcome.

You may have noticed I said I don't always have a sense of peace and confidence in my choices.  Usually that's because I'm kind of impulsive and reactionary, making the decisions without the consultations, without discussing things with God.  But I've come up with a philosophy that gets me through.  I believe that whatever happens, whether I make good choices or poor ones, God is sovereign in my life.  He is my Shepherd.  I believe that He will lead me when I'm on the right path and He'll help me get back on track when I'm on the wrong path. I believe He walks with me when the path is easy and things are going well and that He holds me closely when the path is difficult and hard to walk.  That's what a good shepherd does.

I started off this morning with a scripture in mind but it became increasingly obvious that God had another one selected for me.  I'm sure He'll show me how to use the other scripture later.  But for today, He has faithfully given me a scripture that fills me with the confidence and peace I need.  Psalm 23.  I remember Ronnie White saying you can't expect verse 6 to be true if verse 1 isn't.  For me, I plan to spend my whole life making sure they both are.

Following my Shepherd,

Patrice

Psalm 23:1, 6 (NIV)

(1) The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. (6) Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Comments

Carol Rea said…
Romans 12:2 NIV

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 91:4 NIV

He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
Kim OConnor said…
Proverbs 25:21-22 NIV

If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.

In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1