Faith Words: New

New.  A simple word that has so many implications.  Fresh, not seen before, pure, clean, unspoiled, not used up, full of hope and anticipation of the possibilities.

I'm always looking for a new diet.  Last week, a friend of mine got a new knee.  Researchers work diligently for a new cure.  People will do almost anything to find ways to replace old habits with new ones.  New.

But what kind of "new" thing do I really want?  I want something new that stays new - that never wears out, that always gives me that feeling of newness.  More importantly, why do I want "new"?  Could it be because of what "old" says to me and about me - how it makes me feel "old"?

The writer of Ecclesiastes said there's nothing new under the sun and in many ways, he was correct.  But every new day that dawns brings with it a sense of starting over.  I can put yesterday with its brokenness, its stains, its mistakes behind me and start over new today.  Every new month, every new year.  It's the cycle of life that God in His great love and mercy set in motion so long ago.

The Lord's newness cycle doesn't stop with the rising and setting of the sun or with the change of the seasons or calendar.  It speaks to a more powerful newness cycle of spiritual and eternal proportions.

     Luke 22:20 - "This cup is the new covenant in my blood."

     John 13:34 - "A new command I give you: Love one another."

     Romans 6:4 - "We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may have a new life."

     Romans 12:2 - "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind."

     I Peter 1:3 - "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ!  In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead."

     Revelation 21:5 - "And He who was seated on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.'"

Kind Father, remind me of the renewing power of Your love. Give me fresh hope each morning and resolve to hold tightly to the purity of my new life in Christ.

New.

Patrice

Lamentations 3:22-24 (ESV)

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases.  His mercies never come to an end.  They are new every morning.  Great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul. "Therefore, I will hope in Him."

Comments

Carol Rea said…
Psalm 32:7 NIV

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 51:10

Create in me a pure heart,
O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit
within me.

Sheree Denny said…
Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV

Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Kim OConnor said…
Zechariah 9:12 NLT

Come back to the place of safety,all you prisoners who still have hope! I promise this very day that I will repay two blessings for each of your troubles.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1