Faith Words: My Hope


There’s a lot of instability in the world today.  It’s probably always been like this but it seems particularly unstable right now.  And it’s not just on the world scene, frightening as that is with all this talk of air strikes and all.  “War and rumors of war.”

No, there seems to be a general feeling of instability in almost every aspect of society.  What has value is being re-evaluated and found lacking.  What was detestable has been elevated to levels of acceptable or even desirable.  Counterfeit is being exchanged for real.

This instability makes for an atmosphere where our fears and weaknesses can find voice and speak lies and deception into our hearts.  If we’re not vigilant, these lies and deception can take root and lead us to look for security in something other than our Lord.

Do I know what I believe?  When the world around me doesn’t make sense, when everything seems to be turned upside down, inside out and shaken, where will I turn?  Where will I stand?

In a popular movie a few years back, one character spoke of people’s yearning for a sense of security in their lives.  He said in the middle of all the craziness, the one thing that has stayed the same – the one constant that took folks back to a simpler time – was baseball.  It seemed sweet in the movie but somehow sad now to think that it might be true for someone.  I like baseball a lot but it’s not the constant, the rock I want to turn to when I find myself yearning for fulfillment or something to make sense of my life.

Our Father in heaven offers so much more – more security, more stability, more of what I’m yearning for.  If He seems hard to find or hard to believe, try looking past what people say about Him and read what He says about Himself.  A good read of the Word of God will open our eyes to what really matters.  As we get to know our God, we will begin to believe He is Who He says He is.  Then we will begin to develop a faith that goes beyond belief to trust.

When we learn to trust the Lord, the instability of the world around us will not frighten us.  We may become concerned but we know in whom we believe.  We know in whom we place our hope.  And we can stand secure and stable with Him as our foundation.

Steadfast and sure,

Patrice

Psalm 62:5-6 (NIV)

Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
     my hope comes from Him.
Truly He is my rock and my salvation;
     He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

    

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
1Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
Carol Rea said…
Exodus 33:14 NIV

The Lord replied, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.
Tajuana Speir said…
Jeremiah 33:3 NIV

'Call to me and I will answer you
and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'
Kim OConnor said…
Colossians 3:23 NLT

Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1