Faith Words: What We Don't See


It's been just about six months since I fell and dislocated my shoulder.  After a few medical consultations, I had surgery in June to repair massive tearing to my rotator cuff.  For a while, I wore a sling with a cushion that held my arm at the correct angle to my shoulder while it started the healing process.  Then, I "graduated" to a plain sling without the cushion.  Then, I quit wearing the sling altogether.

Now, from all outward appearances, I look well.  Just by looking, you'd never know my right arm isn't fully healed yet. Just by looking, you'd never know how limited the use of my right arm is.  Just by looking, you'd never know that it still hurts, especially around the scar, and that I'm afraid someone will touch it and make it hurt again without realizing it's still somewhat raw.

Then, it hit me this weekend when I was visiting with a dear friend that there are a lot of people out there who have suffered hurts in different ways and just by looking, you'd never know it.

Just by looking, you'd never know how serious their wounds are.  Just by looking, you'd never know that they've never recovered completely from whatever happened to cause those wounds.  Just by looking, you'd never know that their wounds limit what they can do now.  Just by looking, you'd never know how tender the scars still are and how easily they can still hurt.  Just by looking, you'd never know how afraid they are of being reminded of the wounding and of being hurt, even unintentionally, again.

All of us are susceptible to being hurt by others, by ourselves or just by life itself.  And even though it looks like we've gotten over our hurts, we often suffer alone in our hearts long after any outward signs are visible.

As we look around, let's pray that God gives us the vision to see people as they really are, to see where they are hurting, where they are still trying to heal deep wounds.  Let's pray that we will be sensitive enough to others to treat them gently and with kindness and mercy, realizing that they might still be in pain and we might not be able to tell just by looking.

Blessings!

Patrice

2 Corinthians 5:7 (NIV)

For we live by faith, not by sight.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
James 1:19 NIV

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
Carol Rea said…
Ps. 3:3 NIV

But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 23:1-6 (NIV)

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for His name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Kim OConnor said…
1 Peter 3:4 TM

Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1