Faith Words: Do You Know?

I almost changed my mind about the subject for my post.  It's the same as yesterday's sermon topic so I thought maybe I should go a different direction.  But then when we talked about it in yesterday's Bible class, too, I decided maybe God wants us to hear it, since He's having it repeated.  So I decided I'd go ahead and say what I'd planned to say after all.

At this time of year, we often remember the story of the birth of our Savior.  It's a familiar story, so familiar that we can tell it again and again from memory.  It's a beautiful and amazing story of God the Son coming into this world as a baby for the purpose of letting us see and know God the Father.  Do we know the story?  Sure, we can tell the story, but do we know the story?

In the gospel of John, Jesus tells the disciples that He's going away to prepare a place for them and that they know the way to the place where He's going.  Thomas asks Jesus how they could know the way if they didn't know where He was going.  Jesus patiently explains to them that He Himself is the way.  He's the truth.  He's the life.  He tells them that if they really knew Him, they'd know the Father as well.

To know in a Biblical sense is much more than having knowledge of facts about something.  Instead, to know here conveys the idea of experiencing intimately.  God doesn't just want us to know the story, He wants us to experience it intimately and let it have a life-changing effect on us.  He wants us to be the story.  When we hear His story, we should come away different and our lives will reflect the story we know.

So what will we do with our knowledge of God this Christmas season?  Decorate a tree, sing a few carols, exchange gifts with friends and family, eat a huge meal with loved ones?  There's nothing wrong with any of these things but our knowledge of Christ should move us way beyond these comfortable and cherished traditions.

Yesterday in our worship service, we watched a video about Church Under The Bridge.  We saw a normal, everyday woman of God who heard the story and let God transform her into a warrior who willingly, eagerly goes out to where the homeless are to care for them.  I know some women who for years have been reaching out to other women who are trying to let God help them overcome life-controlling addictions.  These tenderhearted ladies spend endless hours ministering to their new-found sisters, tirelessly showing them God's love by giving of themselves, teaching them the story from God's Word, getting involved in their lives.  If we have eyes to see, God will show us where He needs us.

In a parable in Matthew, Jesus tells us how the faithful will show that they know Him.  He says:  "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me....I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."  (Matthew 25:35, 36, 40)

Just imagine.  What if I had the opportunity to serve dinner to Jesus, to give Him a bottled water, to put a warm coat and blanket on Him on a cold winter's night, to help Him get much needed medical care, to visit Him in a lonely and desolate jail cell?  Would I rationalize my responsibilities away with excuses like I don't have the time right now, my funds are a little tight, it might not be safe.  Or would I jump at the chance?  When I look at people in need, do I look deep in their eyes and see Jesus?

This year, and not just at Christmastime, let's show our world that we really do know Jesus, that we really do know the story.  Joy to the world!  The Lord is letting us know Him.

Merry Christmas!

Patrice

1 John 3:24  (NIV)

Those who obey His commands live in Him, and He in them.  And this is how we know that He lives in us:  We know it by the Spirit He gave us.



Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 126:3 NIV

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.
Tajuana Speir said…
Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying,
"This is the walk; walk in it."

Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 22:19 NIV

But you, Lord, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me.
Kim OConnor said…
Psalm 16:1 NLT

Keep me safe, O God, for I have come to you for refuge.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1