Faith Words: His Great Mercy

Prayer is an interesting concept.  Talking to Someone we can't see and can't touch and believing He hears and cares and acts on our behalf.

In the Scriptures, the writers urge us to pray.  They encourage us to pray continually, to pray about everything, to pray honestly from deep down inside even when we don't have the words.  Remember the hymn:  Pray All The Time? Happy, sad, frightened, blessed, distraught, tempted, victorious - pray!

It's so comforting to have faith that when we pray, God hears.  That faith is based on our experiences and on those of others but still, it's faith that makes us know that when we pray, we're not talking to emptiness and air.  When my dad prays, one phrase he almost always prays is:  "Be with us and strengthen us that we might all do better."  Dad's 90 - almost 91 and his prayers are simple and trusting and full of faith that while we're not perfect, our heavenly Father can give us what we need to do better.  A lifetime of loving and serving God has taught him that.

My own prayer life is inconsistent.  I wish that weren't true but it is.  Sometimes, I pray regularly with structure and formality.  But more often, my prays are disjointed, spontaneous and infrequent.  I don't know why that is.  When I think about prayer and listen to and write down the prayer requests of those I love and care about, I have good intentions of praying with passion and regularity.  But my mind and my schedule drift and I have to admit that I don't live up to my "good intentions."

The habit of prayer is a discipline that I need to develop.  In prayer, I am able to come into the presence of the One who can take everything I bring and deal with it rightly.  In prayer, I can pour out my imperfections and failings and know that He can and will forgive me and help me grow up in my faith - to do better.  In prayer, I can face the realities of today whether happy or sad, reassuring or frightening, and believe that whatever faces me, I'm not alone.  In prayer, I can face the reality that I am by myself insufficient, that I don't have all the answers, that I need God.

I know that God's ability and desire to act doesn't depend on me.  I know He watches and cares in spite of my laziness and distraction.  He wants me to come to Him.  He knows I need to talk to Him and He's always ready to listen.

So, I pray.  I pray for mercy.  I pray for strength.  I pray for wisdom.  And I pray for the maturity to pray - all the time. Thank you, Lord, for hearing.

Amen.

Patrice

Daniel 9:18b (NIV)

"We do not make requests of You because we are righteous, but because of Your great mercy."


Comments

Sheree Denny said…
1Peter3:3-4 NIV

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.
Tajuana Speir said…
Lamentations 3:22-24 (NIV)

Because of the Lord's great love
we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great
is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my
portion; therefore I will wait
for him."
Carol Rea said…
Deuteronomy 5:29 NIV

Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might to well with them and their children forever!
Kim OConnor said…
Song of Songs 2:11-12 NIV

See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves is heard in our land.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1