Faith Words: Today


Last Friday, I attended my great niece's high school graduation.  She is 18.  Today, if I hadn't gotten sick, I would have attended the funeral of a dear friend's granddaughter. She was 19.  One year ago, she was graduating from high school.  I can hardly wrap my mind around it.  Two young women who at 18 have the world before them, full of promise.  But where will the next year take them?  For one, the question has been answered.  For the other, we'll have to wait to see.

It's a question we each need to ask ourselves.  Do we - any of us - know where we'll be in a year?

The events of last weekend made me think.  So much of my life I've taken for granted that I'll have a next year, that I'll live to a very old age.  But I'm not guaranteed that.  I really only have this moment right now.  Yet the choices I make today will color my tomorrow.

What am I doing today to move me toward the tomorrow I'd like to have, toward where I'd like to be this time next year? Will I live intentionally in the present, taking hold of each opportunity that God gives me?

I don't know where I'll be in a year.  I don't even know exactly what path I'll be on in a year.  I do hope God will grant me the wisdom to see each choice I make clearly through His eyes.  I hope God will help me learn how not to squander the time He has given me.  I hope God will help me treasure the people in my life, even if they only cross my path for a moment.  I hope the person I'll be in a year will be a kinder, more loving, more patient, gentler me.

But whatever happens, I hope for both you and me that this time next year finds us holding God's hand.

Looking forward.

Patrice

Isaiah 41:13. (NIV)

For I am the LORD, your God,
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you,
Do not fear; I will help you.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
1Thessalonians 5:11 NIV

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
Tajuana Speir said…
Proverbs 3:6 (NIV)

in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your
paths straight.
Carol Rea said…
I Corinthians 10:31 NIV

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Kim OConnor said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim OConnor said…
Colossians 2:3 NLT

In Him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1