Faith Words: Plans


We traveled to Austin last week to witness our grandson's baptism into Christ.  It was a wonderful day and treasured time with the family.

When we're driving like that, my husband and I talk about where we are in life and where we want to be.  We make lists and set goals and talk about plans to accomplish what we've talked about.  It's funny how much we repeat ourselves and how many times we set the same goals and plans.  If you look at a list from ten years ago, it would probably look much like the one we made last week.  I guess that's because we plan to head in generally the same direction today as back then.  I wish we'd get more checked off our list, but there are some basic things that I hope we never finish.

I hope we always enjoy being together.  The other day we were at an appointment and the client asked me how it was working together, with my husband day in and day out.  I told her truthfully it was wonderful.  I've been working for John for almost eight years now.  We office together in an extra bedroom in our home with our desks positioned inches away from each other.  We spend much of the week on job assignments together both on site and in the car.  Drive time is my favorite.  That's when we talk - a lot of just day to day stuff but often deep personal and spiritual conversations.

I hope we always remain close to our family.  That's a tough balancing act.  Our children don't live in Midland anymore and finding time to be with them in person is too difficult to be left to chance.  Instead, we have to make time.  I'm thankful we live in the day of cell phones, text messaging and Facetime.  Those tools can bring us close in an instant even when we're separated by miles.

I hope we always have good friends.  Over the years, God has brought a variety of people into and out of our lives.  But He has always supplied us with good friends. We've been blessed to have friends who have challenged us and encouraged us to be better people.  And looking back, I can see how each season of friendship was perfect for that season of life.

I hope we'll always be involved in the church.  God has provided opportunities for us to serve Him.  Sometimes we've worked side by side in the same ministry and sometimes we've found separate areas of service.  And just like our friendships, these have changed and developed according to the stage of life where we are.

Lists and plans and hopes are good things.  They are the roads we travel toward our goals.  Stopping now and then for evaluation and course correction is necessary and profitable.  We've learned a few things over the years. Some of our goals change and some stay the same, but we keep planning and doing.

One of my husband's favorite quotes is from John Quincy Adams:  After Mr. Adams finished his term as President of the United States, he served in the US House of Representatives.  When asked why each session of Congress he submitted a bill to abolish slavery, knowing the votes to pass the bill weren't there, he replied:  "Duty is ours; results are God's." It's the same with us.  We may never achieve all our goals, but our job is to keep planning and doing.  God will work out the results.

Blessings in all your plans,

Patrice

Proverbs 19:21 (NIV)

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
     but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.


Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 127:2 NIV

In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat-for he grants sleep to those he loves.
Tajuana Speir said…
2 Corinthians 5:7 NIV

For we live by faith, not by sight.
Carol Rea said…
I Peter 3:11 NIV

They must turn from evil and do good; they must seek peace and pursue it.
Kim OConnor said…
Psalm 17:6 NLT

I am praying to You because I know You will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1