Faith Words: Mozart & Memories


It's Saturday.  We're working and while we work, we're listening to Mozart's Horn Concertos.  And memories from my childhood come flooding back.

My brother Paul was a natural musician.  His main instrument was the French Horn but he could play anything.  He spent hours practicing and performing.  His attention to precision and detail was awe-inspiring.  When it came to his music, he was a perfectionist.

I can remember hearing him practice.  Everyday.  Even if it meant staying up extra late.  His discipline in this area challenged me but not much.  I played the horn too and was pretty good at it.  I could have been much better, if I'd practiced, if I'd been anywhere near as diligent as my brother.

Since we were only about a year apart in age, we were in band together for five years.  Occasionally, we'd play together at home.  One of my favorite memories is us seated side by side at our organ playing "My Jesus, As Thou Wilt" together in harmony on our horns.  It was so melodious!

Paul went on to be a music major at the University of Houston, having studied one year at the University of Rochester's Eastman School of Music.  He toured one summer in the Midwest.  He played with various musicians and groups that held concerts in Houston.  And he was a member of the orchestra at the Second Baptist Church in Houston.

As it turned out, music was not Paul's principle source of income but it was the love of his life.  God gave Paul a gift.  Paul took that gift and developed it.  He honed it and sharpened it.  He never took it for granted.  All his life, he loved music and treasured his ability to play.

Paul's birthday is July 24th.  Next Friday, he would have been 62.  Over the years, from time to time, he'd share a scripture with me that had special meaning to him.  Isaiah 12 was a favorite and so was Isaiah 30:21.  Paul struggled in life, like all of us.  He wandered away, but by God's grace, followed God's voice back home.  All the while, God and His gift of music were with him.  And with his music, Paul found a way to honor and worship God.

Remembering,

Patrice

Isaiah 30:21  (NIV)

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Micah 7:7 NIV
But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
Carol Rea said…
Jeremiah 33:3 NIV

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.
Tajuana Speir said…
1Peter 5:7 NIV

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He
cares for you.
Kim OConnor said…
Habakkuk 3:17-18 NIV

Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vine, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet will I rejoice in the Lord. I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1