Faith Words: Come Together


Friday night, we went to worship.  We've been to this kind of service before and always come away blessed.

The evening starts at 6:30 when we leave the house.  Service begins at 7:00 and goes until it's over.  That varies depending on what's on the agenda but usually it ends between 8:30 and 10:00 pm.

What I like about going is my sense of anticipation, the welcome I know I'll receive, the sincere worship from men and women who know they're being rescued from destruction by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the presence of the Holy Spirit that I feel, and the joy that comes over me at having experienced such heartfelt worship with the family of God.

I'd like to say I feel like this every time I go to worship but the truth is I don't.  The difference?  Me.

I don't give myself fully to worship.  My mind seems unable to focus on the reason I'm there.  I come distracted by my cares and schedule, with little or no room for the Spirit to invade my heart.  Does it have to be this way?  No.

I can take steps to prepare myself for worship before I arrive.  I can make a conscious effort to leave my planning at home and decide to focus on the Lord.  I can be prayerful as the service unfolds, welcoming the Spirit into my heart. 

It's up to me.  Coming together to worship is not a dull obligation.  It's a privilege.

Whenever we come together as the body of Christ, I have a responsibility to my Lord, my brothers and sisters in Christ, and myself to come ready.  God is there.  Jesus is there.  The Holy Spirit is there.  I should be there, really there - in body and in spirit - too.

Let's come together.

Patrice

Psalm 100:4 NIV

Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise;
    give thanks to Him and praise His name.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Romans 12:15 NIV

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Shannon Augesen said…
Romans 10:14-15 NIV
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
Carol Rea said…
Ephesians 4:2 NIV


Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1