Faith Words: A Gathering of Friends


John turned 65 last March.  We asked some friends and family over to celebrate the occasion and spent the evening visiting, laughing, eating, and enjoying being together. 

When we come together to celebrate, we can't help but remember what makes our relationship with each other special.  Just so, John's friends each have stories about their unique connection to him, and even though each is different, there's a common thread that runs through them.  They all share love.

Long ago, a group of friends gathered together after their best Friend had died.  He was the common thread that had tied them together.  They'd spent three years in each other's company and now He was gone.  They came together to grieve together and to comfort each other.  I imagine they shared stories about their Companion.  I imagine they remembered the love He showed each of them, all of them.

The good news is their Friend didn't stay dead.  He didn't leave them for good either.  He may have been visibly out of sight but He promised He was with them always and He was with them and the love continued on as well. 

Even better, He's our Friend, too.  The teachings and stories He left behind still encourage us and show us a better way to live.  His love and sacrifice make that better way of life possible. 

In his poem The Pasture, Robert Frost invites:  "I sha'n't be gone long.—You come too."  We hear a similar invitation in the words our Lord spoke:  "Follow Me." and "if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me..."

Be ready.  It won't be long.  That's going to be some gathering of friends.

You come, too.

Patrice

John 14:2-3 NIV

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me that you also may be where I am.

May 1st:  John 14:27 NIV

Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

May 15th:  John 15:9 NIV

As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you.  Now remain in my love.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 18:2 NIV

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

May 1: Romans 12:19 NIV

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath; for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

May 15: Romans 12:20 NIV

On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."
Carol Rea said…
I Chronicles 28:9b NIV

...for the LORD searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever.

May 1 Ephesians 3:12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.

May 15 Romans 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1