Faith Words: Grow Up


Vivienne is four.  In the last few months, we've seen her begin to mature and be obedient with little prompting, happily becoming a big girl.  Still, sometimes she gives in and acts like a four year old, refusing to do what she knows she should do, refusing to take instruction, doing things she decides are good, throwing a fit now and then. For a four year old, this kind of behavior is expected.

I'm sixty-four.  Over the years, I've learned to act with maturity, do what I know is right and good to do - most of the time.  And yet still, sometimes I give in to my stubborn, willful nature, refusing to do what I know I should do, refusing to take instruction, doing what I want to do even when I know it's not right, throwing a fit now and then.  But for someone my age, this kind of behavior is shameful and should be behind me.  After all, I died to myself when I gave my life to Jesus, now living for Him.

Then, why do I let a dead woman direct my choices?  Why do I give into acting in ways I know are not pleasing to the Lord? 

I don't know how to explain it well, but sometimes my immaturity is me acting out my fatigue and fears; I'm reacting.  That's when Vivi acts up the most, when she's tired or afraid.  She loses any self-control she may have had.  She doesn't understand or know better yet and does what comes naturally. I, on the other hand, do know better.  I also know that my God and my Savior have given me a Helper - the Holy Spirit - to give me understanding and knowledge so I won't give into what comes naturally but will hold on to that God-given self-control.

Vivienne grows up a little every day.  She makes mistakes but she's learning.  Her tender heart prompts her to say she's sorry when she does wrong.  She vows to do better and please her mommy and daddy by being obedient.  In moments of clarity, I can see what I'm doing and vow to get it together.  I hope I learn from my mistakes.  I hope I continue to mature.  My desire is to place myself under God's control, walking by faith, being obedient, pleasing the Lord. 

I guess Vivi and I have a lot in common.  We're both really thankful for love and mercy.  And we're both still growing up.

Patrice

1 Peter 2:2-3 NIV

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

PS

Realizing that I haven't posted anything since March, here are my two April verses.  For those of you memorizing scripture with me, please feel free to post your April verses, too.

For April 1st:

1 John 3:24 NIV

The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.

For April 15th:

2 Timothy 1:7 NIV

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.


Comments

Carol Rea said…
Ephesians 5:15-16 NIV

Be very careful,then,how you live---not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

April 1 Isaiah 48:17 NIV This is what the Lord says----your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; "I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.

April 15 Psalm 62:11 NIV One thing God has spoken, two things I have heard: "power belongs to you, God, and with you, Lord, is unfailing love"; and, "You reward everyone according to what they have done."
Shannon Augesen said…
Psalm 4:8 NIV
In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.
Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 18:1 NIV

I love you, O Lord, my strength.

April 1 Romans 12:17 NIV

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

April 15 Romans 12:18 NIV

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1