Faith Words: Quick Fix

I want it and I want it now!

That’s how I feel lots of times about lots of things.

I want to lose weight, all of it - overnight.

I want to lower my cholesterol so my doctor will be happy with me at my appointment - tomorrow.

I want to get in shape by tomorrow.

I want to stop my bad habit by tomorrow.

I want my situation to improve right now.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting things to get better. That’s where change begins. But most things that last don’t change overnight with little or no effort on my part.

I want to loose weight, reduce my cholesterol, get in shape?  I need to eat wisely, exercise consistently for the rest of my life and not quit after a few days.

I want to change my bad habits?  I need to replace them with positive behavior and not rationalize or excuse giving into temptation to go back to the same old bad habit at the first turn.

I want to improve my situation? I need to take steps to move in a better direction and not give up at the first sign of discouragement.

Change is often difficult and a long time coming. Quick fixes usually don’t last more than a brief season. Typically, things didn’t get like they are overnight and it takes time for real, lasting change to occur.

Does God care?  Why doesn’t He do something now?

I believe the Lord wants what’s good for us in every area of life. I believe He acts on our behalf all the time. But sometimes there’s something missing - me and my willingness to yield to Him.

I need to take all things to the Lord in prayer. I need to ask Him to reveal the best solutions for what needs to be fixed in my life. I need to do what’s best consistently.

But what if I slide back into my mess?  That’s when it can get hard.

My response has often been to throw up my hands and quit. Or maybe I slip into self-condemnation, telling myself how unworthy I am and how unsalvageable I am. I lose hope.

Instead of turning to myself and my flawed reasoning, I need to turn to the Master and depend on Him to help me get going in the right direction again.

What will work?  A quick fix?  Not in my experience. No, it takes complete reliance on the Lord and patience and cooperation to let Him guide into lasting solutions.

If we yield to the Lord, He will change us and shape us according to His will and His plan for our lives. That’s a fix that will last.

In Hs hands,

Patrice

‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭64:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Yet you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
1 Peter 5:6 NIV

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time
Kim OConnor said…
Colossians 4:6 HCSB

Your speech should always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you should answer each person.
Shannon Augesen said…
Romans 3:23 NIV
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 121:5 NIV

The Lord watches over you -- the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
The sun will not harm you by day nor the moon by night.
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 121:7-8 NIV

The LORD will keep you from all harm---he will watch over your life; the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1