Faith Words: Judgement & Mercy

Just days before leaving on vacation, I received a green card in the mail inviting me to JURY DUTY immediately upon my return.  Why do we react to this summons with such dread?  It can disrupt our routine, but what if the shoe were on the other foot?  Wouldn't we want good citizens responding to their summons to serve on our jury so we could be confident of justice?  Maybe that's part of what we're afraid of.

Many of you have heard me tell this tale before but bear with me.  During the Civil War a young soldier was brought before General Robert E. Lee under charges of desertion.  He was visibly trembling and so to reassure him, General lee reportedly told him, "Don't be afraid, son.  You'll receive justice from me."  To which the young soldier replied, "That's what I'm afraid of."

We all stand before the Judge of the Universe.  We all stand guilty.  But we have a wonderful advocate standing on our side: our Lord Jesus Christ.  When we deserved judgment, he paid our ransom price so we could stand before our Father God clothed in his innocence and forgiveness.

And happily, he shows us boundless mercy and does it with joy.  He knows our guilt but loves us so much that he does the inconceivable: he takes the punishment for us.  Praise God!

Keep the Faith!

Patrice

Micah 7:18  (NIV)

Who is a God like you,
who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
of the remnant of his inheritance?
You do not stay angry forever
but delight to show mercy.

Comments

Brenda Sorrells said…
Phil. 3:10
I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing inhibit s death.
Mary Lou Vorheis said…
Job 23:10,11 NIV
But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold. My foot has held fast to His path; I have kept His way and not turned aside.
shari horne said…
Shari Horne James 3:17 NIV
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure, then peace-loving, considerste, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.
Shannon Augesen said…
Psalm 51:1-2 NIV
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love, according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
Sheree Denny said…
Isa 41:13 NIV

For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
Kim OConnor said…
1 Timothy 6:8 NLT
So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.
Carol Rea said…
2 Corinthians 12:9 NIV
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in your weakness." Therefore I will boast more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1