Faith Words: Welcome, 2013!

Another new year.  We look back. We look forward.

Behind me is another year's worth of things I did right and things I did wrong.  Good things happened in 2012 and so did bad. When I start looking at all that went on last year, I tend to focus on the places where I failed, where I fell short, where I made a mess of things, where things didn't turn out the way I'd hope they would.  Pretty soon, that's all I can see and my head sinks in shame and my heart is heavy with the burden.

Add to that all that can worry us and cause us to fear the coming of 2013.  The world's political climate seems to become more unstable each day.  And even if we don't go off the "fiscal cliff" tomorrow, the national debt keeps climbing, threatening to bury generations to come with financial woe.  The condition of our society is also at risk and seems to decline long after we thought it had reached the bottom.  The war against traditional marriage and the family wages on.  Even the church continues to struggle with trying to decide how to please God but not offend people.

But God is good and He encourages me not to be afraid, not to worry.  He gently says:  "Trust Me."  Two small words filled with immense power.  These two small words can give me the strength and wisdom to put everything into perspective.  They assure me that my God can take my everything - both good and bad - and turn it all into something amazing, something beautiful.  I don't know how.  I just trust that He will.

These two small words also give me the assurance that no matter what happens in the world around me, everything will be all right.  God already knows what lies ahead and already has a plan in place to cover it.  "Trust Me."

You see, He never changes.  In the middle of insecurity and uncertainty, He stands stable and firm, just like He always has and always will.  And He will never leave us or forsake us.  As children of God, we can look forward and not fear.  Instead, we can look forward with joyful anticipation, knowing God has gone before us and lights our path, showing us the way we should go.

2012 is behind us.  Our future lies ahead of us ready for us to step into it, full of promise.  Let's trust God and take that first step into 2013.  We don't know where it will take us but we know by faith that it will take us one step closer to Him, one step closer home.

Trusting God,

Patrice

John 14:1 (NIV)

Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in me.




Comments

Brenda Sorrells said…
Brenda Sorrells
Lamentation 3:22-23 (HCSB)
Because of the Lord's faithful love we do not perish, for His mercies never end. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness!
Tajuana said…
Tajuana Speir
Isaiah 58:11 (NIV)

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-sorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.

January 1, 2013 12:18 PM
Stephanie Cook said…
James 1:17 NIV

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 141:3 NIV

Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord;
Keep watch over the door of my lips.
Sheree Denny said…
2 Timothy 1:7 NIV

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and self-discipline.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1