Faith Words: Is It Worth It?

One hundred fifty years ago today, the battle of Gettysburg began and lasted for three days, resulting in some 53,000 casualties.  Right or wrong, men from the North and the South sacrificed their lives for a way of life they believed in.

In another time and place, after a brilliant concert, a woman approached the great pianist Van Cliburn and congratulated him on a marvelous performance.  She said, "I'd give my life to play the piano like that."  He simply replied, "I did."

What are you willing to give your life for?  Is there a cause or a discipline that you've spent your life to further?  Is it patriotism or love of country?  Is it love of music or art that drives you?  Perhaps something you believe in so strongly that you spend your time and money advancing?  When's the last time you stopped and took a look at what you're doing with your life and asked yourself, "Is it worth it?"  If the answer comes back, "No" or "Maybe or "I don't know," perhaps it's time to make a course change and find something worthy of giving your whole life to.

In my current circumstances, I've had time to reflect on where I'm investing my energies.  Some of those things are indeed worthwhile.  But the questions don't stop there.  Next thing I know, I'm asking myself, "Am I giving my all, my best?"  The answer is more often than not, "Not always."

When our Lord Jesus Christ walked on this earth, He did it with purpose in every step.  He fully realized the value of each moment and fully utilized every opportunity to do what He came here to do.  He really saw the people around Him. He really loved them.  He found ways to speak into their lives the joy and power that comes from living a life fully devoted to the Father.  He didn't waste time or put off doing the right thing till it was more convenient for Him.  He acted intentionally to make the most of the time He had.

Oh, that I could go back and relive some of the days that I've wasted on trivial things!  What I'd give to take the opportunities in my life more seriously!  But since going back is impossible, what am I to do?  Please, Lord, make me aware of the value of each moment You've given me. Let me realize that each moment is brief and can't be brought back after it's passed.  Help me to see the importance of spending each moment in pursuit of something with eternal value.  Remind me daily to live my life in such a way that when I look back, I'll have no regret, knowing I gave the time allotted to me on something that was worth it.

With renewed purpose,

Patrice

Colossians 1:10 (NIV)

And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way; bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God.


Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Lamentations 3:22-23 NIV

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Carol Rea said…
Matthew 6:33 NIV

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Kim OConnor said…
Job 33:28 NLT

God rescued me from the grave, and now my life is filled with light.
Tajuana Speir said…
The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

Exodus 33:14 (NIV)

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1