Faith Words: Growing


My oldest granddaughter, Veronica, is growing.  Monday, her other grandparents picked her up to come home with them for a visit.  But before they could start their journey, they had to get a new car seat.  Roni was so excited.  They were getting rid of the "baby" car seat and getting one for a "big" girl.  Same thing with her clothes:  she's outgrowing everything and is ready for a bigger size.  She's growing.

She's growing and she's excited about it.  We're excited for her.  We want her to grow and not stay a baby forever.  We pray that one day she'll grow into a beautiful young Christian woman who loves God more and more every day.

What about me?  Am I still growing in Christ?  Do I get excited about that?  I don't want to stay a baby forever.  Peter encouraged all new Christians with these words:  "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." (1 Peter 2:2)  Just like children, we're not supposed to stay babies forever.  We're supposed to grow up and become mature.  The Hebrews writer tells us to grow up, too.  "Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.  But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." (Hebrews 5:13-14)  That's what I want for me and for you - for us to grow up in our salvation, to become mature Christians.

Growing spiritually doesn't happen by accident; it takes action on our part.  Just like a child's growth will be stunted if she's not fed well and nurtured, our spiritually growth needs spiritual food and spiritual nurturing. For me, I try to start where I am and move forward in steps something like these:

  • Study God's Word and learn how to live it.  
  • Develop a prayer life and spend time alone with God.
  • Ask God for understanding and wisdom.  
  • Spend time with other believers.  
  • Challenge and encourage each other in the knowledge and understanding of the Scriptures.  
  • Put God's Word into action.  James, the brother of the Lord, tells us in James 1:22 "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says."  It does us no good to know the Word and then to continue to live like the world.

I get frustrated sometimes because my growth seems slow or even regresses.  But I can't just quit!  I don't want to stay like I am, where I am.  I want to become more Christ-like, more mature in my faith.  I want to please God with my life.  I want the peace and strength and joy that comes from living God's way.  I just have to persevere.

Still growing,

Patrice

James 1:4 (NIV)

Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Isaiah 52:7 NIV

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"
Carol Rea said…
I Chronicles 16:11 NIV

Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
Tajuana Speir said…
2 Timothy 1:7 NET

For God did not give us a spirit
of fear but of power and love and
self-control.
Kim OConnor said…
Psalm 61:1-3 NLT

O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer! From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Faith Words: Change