Faith Words: Be Still

As a grandmother, I think just about everything my grandchildren do is cute and I enjoy spending time with them just to watch them and see how they've changed since the last time I saw them.  But grandparenting isn't strictly a spectator sport.  There is often more action in the living room than on a football field.

My 4-year old grandson is a ball of energy.  He never seems to stop.  Running here - jumping there.  Throwing this - climbing on that.  Perpetual motion comes to mind.  And his little sister does the best she can to keep up with him.  If he climbs on the hearth, she does, too.  If he jumps from the ottoman to the chair, be ready to catch her 'cause here she comes.  When my other granddaughter visited a few months back, she spent an evening running up and down the hall just for the pleasure of dragging a roll of paper behind her.  I get tired just watching.  It's nearly impossible to get them to be still and just talk or listen to me.  If they'd just sit still for a minute or two and let me sing to them or read to them or tell them how much joy they bring me.  But they go and go till they collapse in the bed at night.  Then, they wake up the next morning and go again.

Sometimes my life seems like that - perpetual motion.  First here - then there.  Do this - don't forget that.  I always have a long, unfinished "To-Do List."   It makes me tired just thinking about it.  In fact, when I woke up this morning, I thought, "How will I get it all done this week?"  I just wanted to escape, to leave all the obligations and appointments behind me and run away.  I let myself get too busy and over-committed and then before I know it, I'm exhausted.  But I'm not through, so when I get up, I go at it again.

What I really need is to be still and just talk or listen to my Father God.  It's not the list and all the involvement that's out of control.  It's me.  I need to sit down with my Father and spend time in His presence.  I need to stop my perpetual motion and just be still with Him - hear Him sing over me, read of His love for me, feel the joy of being with Him.

What will my quiet time with Him be like? Will I be counting the minutes till it's time to move on to the next thing on my list?  Will I let my thoughts drift to the planning and details of my next obligation?  Will I be impatient and pull away from Him?

It could be that for a little while I'll forget the pressure I've put on myself.  Maybe I'll remember how much I love Him and think of all He has done and is doing for me.  I might just gain some much needed perspective about the importance and necessity of each item on my list.  Then, maybe I'll come away refreshed and much calmer.

Sound pretty good - I think I'll give it a try.

Shh...

Patrice

Psalm 46:10a (NIV)

Be still and know that I am God.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 141:3 NIV

Set a guard over my mouth O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.
Kim OConnor said…
Exodus 23:20 NLT

See, I am sending an angel before you to protect you on your journey and lead you safely to the place I have prepared for you.
Carol Rea said…
Isaiah 7:9b NIV

...If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1