Faith Words: Don't Quit Now


Well, here it is already February 1st.  How many New Year's Resolutions have you kept this year?  You know, it's funny. We look at each new year as an opportunity to start over, to do it right, and less than a month later, we've given up and decided that we'll just have to wait till next year.  But now is not the time to give up; it's the time to give it another try, and another and another.

I've set many goals but I seldom succeed at them, some not at all and others not in their original form.  If I let failure to meet my goals and New Year's Resolutions stop me, I might as well move into the closet and close the door.  So many times, success is just around the corner, it's in the next step, the next decision.  We give up, quit and label ourselves as failures all too soon.

Tomorrow, another McKinney is coming into the world.  She was due Thursday and there were days when we all thought she'd be here earlier than that.  But now, it looks like tomorrow will be her birthday.  When her momma was giving birth to her older sister, she started getting tired before her baby was born.  I remember her saying, "I can't do this!"  Well, it was a little late for that, but we all know the feeling.  We work toward our goal, we plan, we anticipate, we exhaust ourselves in preparation, it takes longer and becomes more difficult than we thought.  Then before we cross the finish line, we throw up our hands and say, "I can't do this!"

I think it's because we try to do it all on our own.  On our own, we run out of energy long before we reach our goal. On our own, we make poor decisions or question the good decisions we make.  On our own, we grow fearful and discouraged.  I can't do this life on my own.

Thankfully, we're not left on our own.  God does not abandon us.  We just need to learn to rely on Him and His strength.  He doesn't wear out, He doesn't grow tired.  He's the same yesterday, today and forever.  His mercies are new every morning.  He gives us this day our daily bread.

So don't quit now.  God is with you, holding you up when your own strength fails.  Just take that next step in faith toward your goal.  He's already there.

In faith,

Patrice

Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

So do not fear, for I am with you;
     do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
     I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 100:3 NIV

Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Carol Rea said…
Deuteronomy 6:5-9 NIV

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Tajuana Speir said…
Matthew 19:26 (NIV)

Jesus looked at them and said,
"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Kim OConnor said…
Mark 15:5 NIV

But Jesus still made no reply...

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1