Faith Words: Virus Protection

Recently, the world found out that Internet Explorer had a little chink in its armor.  One of the most trusted means to access the Internet had a major security flaw that left all its users open to hackers who could then exploit this flaw to do all kinds of damage to the unwary user.  The answer?  Till this flaw was fixed, SHUT IT DOWN!  DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER!  This warning came from Homeland Security.  A very serious situation - a clear and present danger.

Even after the flaw has been repaired and the patch installed and we've all gone back to our online life as usual, I can't help but wonder when the next vulnerability will show up, where the next attack will come from.  So, like everyone else, I step up my vigilance and double-check to see that my computer's defenses are up-to-date and running.  I even set up redundant systems of virus and malware protection just in case the first line of defense fails.

It reminded me that in my spiritual walk, I need protection, too.  Attacks come when least expected and on my own, I'm highly vulnerable.  Paul urges us in Ephesians 6:12 to remember that "our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."  This warning comes from "Heavenly Security." A very serious situation - a clear and present danger of eternal proportions.

God provided a Patch, if you will, to solve the initial problem.  He supplied His own Son to cover our sin-vulnerable souls and restore our "systems" to what He originally intended them to be.  But even after we are immersed in the waters of baptism and come up covered by the blood of Christ, we are still vulnerable.  How can this be?  Just like a gullible computer user can let a malicious virus into her PC by opening the wrong email or visiting the wrong website, we, too, let sin and evil back into our lives when think we can go back to our old life as usual and we visit the same strongholds that separated us from God in the first place.

Constant daily vigilance is necessary to help protect against the spiritual attacks that are bound to come our way.  And we can't think protecting just one avenue of attack will be enough.  We need to protect our whole heart, soul and mind.  I need to wrap the belt of truth around me, the conviction that God's word is absolutely true.  The breastplate of righteousness - Christ's righteousness - must be securely in place reminding me that I no longer live but Christ lives in me.  I must be ready for my faith walk with the gospel of peace, ready and assured that whatever I face, God will bring me though it.  It doesn't stop there.  I need to take up the shield of faith, protecting me from the doubt and fear thrown at me by the evil one and wear the helmet of salvation to know and be confident that my salvation is sure. The very word of God will be my sword, the sword of the Spirit.  Thus armed, I can defend myself just like Jesus did in the desert by answering any temptation I may face with the powerful, Spirit-filled word of God.  Oh, and don't forget to pray in the Spirit!  Consulting all the time with the Manufacturer can help me troubleshoot and solve the user problems I run into throughout the day.

Only a senseless, uninformed person uses the Internet without some kind of protection from the unseen evil forces out there ready to pounce on the ignorant and unsuspecting and rob them of their identity, money and reputation.  Only an immature Christian would risk doing battle with the evil one without the full armor of God.

The attack is coming.  The adversary is always looking for a weak spot, a vulnerability that's not protected.  Be vigilant. Be ready for whatever comes by taking Paul's warning to heart and putting on the full armor of God.

Protected!

Patrice

Ephesians 6:10-11 (NIV)

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."


Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Proverbs 31:26 NIV

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
Carol Rea said…
Deuteronomy 30:20 NIV

And that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your live,...
Tajuana Speir said…
Matthew 5:7 (NIV)

Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Kim OConnor said…
Ephesians 6:13

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1