Faith Words: Comfort & Joy


We put up one of our Christmas trees last night.  It's not decorated yet and yes, I said one of our trees.  We have three.  The one in the living room is our traditional tree. It's the one with our family's ornaments.  As we decorate it, we'll relive the years we've shared together and remember Christmases past.

The other two are newer additions to our Christmas traditions.  One holds our Texas State Capitol ornaments - a collection started by my sister-in-law.  The other one is where we hang the souvenir ornaments that John and I have collected on our travels together - each ornament a reminder of the special places we've been together, what we did there and the good times we've had together.  I think it's my favorite tree.

What am I looking for during this time of year?  Gathering with friends and family?  Sharing love and memories? Yes, that but something more.  I want to feel the joy and wonder that the shepherds felt as they watched their flocks by night.  I want to experience the awe that the Magi felt as they knelt before the Christ-child.  And I want it to last for more than a month.  I want it stay with me every day.

It's more than the birth of Christ I want to hold close, though.  I want all of it - the all-encompassing sense of comfort and joy that comes from knowing that God's plan covers me, includes me, saves me.  Now, that's good news!

I know how I anticipate sharing the gifts I give - finding something just right, wrapping it carefully, watching the reaction as it's opened, hoping it brings joy to the heart of the one who receives it.  Does our Father do the same thing?  I think so.

As I read through the Scriptures, I see the gospel unfolding.  I watch as God's story shows how intricately He has planned every detail of His amazing Gift from conceiving the idea to wrapping it up in His Son and giving it to me - to us - as the perfect present.  I think He can hardly wait to see us discover the Gift.  Then, as we let the joy of the Gift fill our hearts, I think He, too, feels our joy. And the love He has for us glows brightly as it's reflected in us when we receive the Gift.

This is the gift I want to keep with me every day of the year - God's Gift of comfort and joy.

Merry Christmas!

Patrice

Luke 2:11 (NIV)

"Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord."


Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalms 121:1-2 NIV

I lift m eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 91:15 NIV

He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 150:6 NIV

Let everything that has breath
praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord.


Psalm 147:5 NIV November 15th

Great is our Lord and mighty in
power; His understanding has no
limit.
Kim OConnor said…
Psalm 139:21-22 NIV

Do I not hate those who hate You, Lord,
and abhor those who are in rebellion against You?
I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1