Faith Words: No Shame


Several critical social issues have made the news this summer.  I've felt so many emotions in reaction to these news stories.  But what should my response be?

In truth, these stories aren't new.  These practices have been going on for who knows how long.  They just made the news cycle more this summer.  When they've been happening off the front page, we've been able to convince ourselves that they are isolated incidents.  Now that they've made the headlines, we feel upset, uncomfortable and angry.  Again, what should my response be?

I should pray.  Paul reminded us in Philippians to pray about everything.  Recently, in a Facebook post, Kay Arthur said when confronted with a very trying problem, she had first thought to talk to her husband about it. Then, she realized that she should take it to the Father. She said as she poured out her heart before the throne, God helped her see His answer, His solution.

I should know where I stand on all matters of life. Where do I stand?  I should stand with the truth.  Not my opinion. Not my desire.  Not what is politically or socially correct.  Truth is truth.  It doesn't take a poll or vote to decide what is true.  God's Word tells us what is true, not because He decided that this or that is true but because it is true.  God tells us what is true because He knows what is true.  He also knows we'll have times of question and indecision, so He clarified truth for us. Sometimes we try to convince ourselves that some matters change, that some matters aren't specifically included in God's list of do's and don'ts.  Truth doesn't change.  Maybe what we believe to be the truth changes but truth doesn't change.

I should live my faith in love.  Just because someone or some group declares evil to be right or right to be evil doesn't mean I have to agree with that declaration.  My first allegiance is to my Lord.  I am free in this country to speak out against what I believe to be wrong, even if it is considered to be the law of the land.  I can work to make changes to bad laws and regulations. What a blessing! What a privilege!  What a responsibility! But anytime I act, whether in word or deed, I must remember to act in love and peace.  That doesn't mean lying down and letting evil have the last word.  It doesn't even mean that I can't or won't be outraged or angry over certain things.  But it does mean that my actions and words must never bring dishonor to the name of Christ.

I must speak up.  I'm still looking for appropriate answers and actions to some of these terrible situations. By being silent, Christians have let too much ground be lost.  I know my first step is to stop pretending that evil does not exist.  As Bob Dylan said, "How many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see?" What about future generations?

I don't want it to be said that my generation was the one that didn't pass on our faith and knowledge of the Lord. No matter how far our society has sunk, God can turn it around, if we honor Him and stand up for the Gospel.

It's not easy.  Taking a stand or speaking up is difficult.  I don't want to offend anyone.  I don't want to stand alone. I don't want to be criticized for my position.  But it's not supposed to be about me.  It's about helping others hear God's message.  It's so important to measure my stance by God's standard.  I may get it wrong from time to time but He never does.

Lord, please help me to identify the real problem and address it in a way that will please You without shame or fear.

Patrice

Romans 1:16 (NIV)

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NIV

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work; If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
Tajuana Speir said…
Matthew 10:14 NIV

"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that
home or town and shake the dust off your feet."
Carol Rea said…
I Chronicles 22:19a NIV

Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God...
Kim OConnor said…
Malachi 4:2 NIV

"But for you who revere My Name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings."

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1