Faith Words: One of A Kind


The warm weather's had us out at the local nurseries shopping for plants to put in our flowerbeds and outdoor pots.  The varieties already available are amazing!  Bright reds, hot pinks, deep purples.  Each plant - each individual plant - is unique.  As much as they are alike, they're different.  And oh, how those differences delight!

Looking over the coleus, I saw some that were deep violet-red edged with bright spring green.  Some had ruffled leaves.  Some had spotted leaves.  The sweet potato vines were just as intriguing with their long tendrils intertwining.  The new growth on the purple version was just as bright a green as the green variety but I know in time, as it matures, that green will darken to a beautiful maroon shade of purple to match the older leaves.

The hanging baskets of petunias were full of surprises - first pink ones with white centers, then deep, almost black, purple ones paired with yellow ones with matching dark centers.  Then, I came across the palest, most delicate shade of pink and thought that's the most amazing of all till I turned around to see one just as pale and delicate but yellow.

I gathered up my favorites, trying to limit my choices to what I could get planted quickly, but I couldn't leave without picking up a few small pots of alyssum.  Who can resist that honey-sweet smell and the promise of full swags of tiny white blooms?  Now, with a little care, I'll have a summer of beautiful blossoms and foliage to enjoy.

You know, each of us is just as unique as these garden beauties.  We're alike in many ways, but we each bring something special to make our mark on those we fellowship with.  It may be a contagious laugh, it may be sparkling eyes, it may be an inner beauty of gentleness and thoughtfulness.  But just like the Lord made each flower and each plant unique, we, too, have been created by Him to be one of a kind.

Throughout the growing season, we change and mature.  If we let Him, the Master Gardener can nurture us into the best version of ourselves - the one He could see in us from the beginning.

You might not see your own beauty.  We've been taught not to be proud of ourselves.  But when I look around at each of you, I see how each of you add to the pleasing landscape of God's garden of life - of my life - and I praise Him for planting me near you.

Blessings!

Patrice

Psalm 139:14 (NIV)

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 119:26 NIV

I recounted my ways and you answered me; teach me your decrees.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 121:7 NIV

The Lord will keep you from all harm-
He will watch over your life;
Carol Rea said…
Psalm 68:28 NIV

Summon your power, O God; show us your strength, O God, as you have done before.
Unknown said…
Titus 2:7 NLT

And you yourself must be an example to them by doing good works of every kind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1