Faith Words: Dig Deep


We've had this tree for a couple of months now.  We've been meaning to plant it but one thing leads to another and it doesn't get done.  Anyway, last week's rain had the ground softened up just right, so today, we planted it.

It's not easy to plant a tree at my age.  But having waited so long to get started, I dug and dug like I did it everyday. Well, kind of.  West Texas dirt is hard even after it's been softened up a little by rain.  But you lay into it with a pick/ax and shovel and you can do amazing things!

My main obstacles were the roots of the old trees that used to be there.  We had planted two beautiful crepe myrtle trees years ago but drought and cold killed them. We finally got tired of looking at the dead canes and cut them back.  Then, finally, last week, a guy we know was able to get the stumps out.

However, under the surface, many roots of those old trees remained.  And they were just where we wanted to plant the new tree.  So, I dug for a while and then used the pick/ax  for a while, uncovering the roots of those dead trees.  After I uncovered them, I got the big ax and whacked them until I cut them loose and yanked them out of the flowerbed.  (Note: It is very difficult to hit the same mark each time you swing an ax.  Just saying.)

John finished digging out the hole and took the tree out of its plastic bucket.  It was all root bound, so he pierced the root ball gently.  Then, he mixed soil and soil conditioner and used that mixture to fill in around the tree.  Finally, he watered it in to eliminate any air pockets.  After the soil settled a little, I shoveled some extra soil on top and stood back to admire our work.

Often, we try to start anew only to find the roots of our old life or stubborn sinful habit are still there in the way buried just beneath the surface and making it nearly impossible to make room for a fresh start.  But if we let the Lord dig out those old roots, if we condition the soil of our hearts with the Word, and if we pour the life-giving Spirit over this new thing God wants to do in us, we can be confident that He will have His way and we can stand back and admire His work.

Isn't God good?

Patrice

Philippians 1:6 (NIV)

...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
Psalm 119:36 NIV

Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 18:16 NIV

He reached down from on high
and took hold of me;
He drew me out of deep
waters.

Shannon Augesen said…
2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Shannon Augesen said…
2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Carol Rea said…
Jeremiah 10:23 NIV

LORD, I know that people's lives are not their own; it is not for them to direct their steps.
Unknown said…
Hebrews 13:6 NLT

The Lord is my helper, so I have no fear. What can mere people do to me?

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1