Faith Words: My Way or His?


The bird is back.

Last summer, while visiting at Mom's. we heard a strange thumping noise.  At first, we thought the HVAC compressor was going out.  No, not that.  Air in the water pipes?  No, not that either.  The washer spinning out of balance?  Wrong again.

It was a bird throwing himself at the bedroom window.  There's a large shrub that grows next to this window, and a confused but determined red cardinal perches on one of the upper branches.  Starting at dawn and continuing throughout the day, he throws his body against the glass.  He must see something in the reflection in the glass that makes him certain that he needs to fling himself at the window, thus causing the rhythmic thumping.  And even though he makes no progress, he keeps up the battle.  We thought he had figured out that his efforts were wasted and had stopped his folly, but no.  When we were at Mom's over the Thanksgiving holiday, we heard him again.  He's back.

I do that, too.  I think that if I work hard enough, I can make things work out like I want them to.  All my determination is wasted but I stubbornly stay the wrong course and all my efforts fail to get me closer to my goal.  I appear as silly and confused as that poor little bird, wearing myself out and getting nowhere. 

If I can just stop, be still for a minute, and look to the One who knows what to do, I can stop flinging myself at life.  I can stop inflicting unnecessary pain on myself.  When the day dawns, instead of following my own inclination, I can let God show me in His word the way I should go.  Then throughout the day, I can continue to put my trust in Him.  I can start living the life God intends, soaring to new heights in the security of His unfailing love.

Trusting Him,

Patrice

Psalm 143:8 NIV

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
    for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
    for to you I entrust my life.

Comments

Sheree' Denny said…
James 1:22 NIV

Do not merely listen to my word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
Carol Rea said…
Ephesians 5:26 NIV

to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
Kim OConnor said…
2 Corinthians 1:20a

For no matter how many promises God has made,they are "Yes" in Christ.

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1