Faith Words: Follow the Leader

Once, when my boys were little, we went to the Abilene zoo.  We saw flamingo, polar bear, giraffes, turtles – all the typical zoo animals.  As we were walking from exhibit to exhibit, seemingly out of nowhere came one of the zookeepers followed by four young elephants trotting down the walkway, one behind the other without any rope or chains.  Thru training, discipline and trust, the elephants had learned to follow their leader.

Years later, on another vacation, this time across the country in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, we saw a re-enactor portraying a farmer.  His companion was a large ox.  The ox wasn’t tethered or tied to anything.  He walked the crowded streets of Colonial Williamsburg controlled by voice commands & a tiny whip.  A word from the farmer, a slight flick of the whip and the ox responded by calmly moving in the desired direction.

All our lives, we follow someone.  As children, we play “Follow the Leader”, mimic older siblings & friends, try to dress and look like celebrities.

When John and I got married, one of the songs we had sung at our wedding was John Denver’s “Follow Me.”  The words in the chorus went:

     Follow me where I go
     What I do & who I know.
     Make it part of you to be a part of me.
     Follow me up & down
     All the way & all around.
     Take my hand and say you’ll follow me.

We’re always following someone.

When Jesus encountered each of His apostles, what did He tell them?  “Follow me.”

When we come to Christ, we start following Him.  Just like the elephants at the zoo or the ox in Colonial Williamsburg, it takes time to be trained, discipline to teach us to walk under His authority, to learn to trust Him. 

In Hebrews 12:10b-11, the writer says: "but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness.  No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

In John 10:27, Jesus says, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”  So little by little, through discipline & study, we learn to follow the Lord.

Who are you following? A teacher, an author, a preacher?  In 1 Corinthians 11:1, Paul reminds us, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.” 

We’re always following someone.  Follow Christ.

Following the Leader,

Patrice

John 10:27 NIV

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

Comments

Sheree Denny said…
1 Peter 5:7 NIV

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Tajuana Speir said…
Psalm 121:7-8 NIV

The Lord will keep you from all harm - He will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
Carol Rea said…
Matthew 22:29 NIV

Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the scriptures or the power of God.
Kim OConnor said…
Hebrews 2:1 HCSB

For this reason, we must pay attention all the more to what we have heard, so that we will not drift away.
Shannon Augesen said…
Matthew 26:42 NIV
He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Words: January 1, 2012 - A New Beginning

Faith Words: Here Again

Questions to Ponder Week #1